Special K Challenge is not Diet Food

Special K Challenge and Dieting I must say I was nearly seduced by those adverts.  You know the ones, a woman dressed in red, looking good. And it tastes gooood.  Surely this is the answer to all my diet prayers!


NO!

Special K is not a diet food.

I suppose the clues are there. Its tastes good, its sweet, its popular. But still those adverts keep saying how great special K is.

I mean - its a processed carbohydrate. Its low in fibre. Its packed with sugar.

But surely the adverts must be true! It must at least be better that simple, dull Corn Flakes.

Then I looked at the calorie content.

A 45g bowl of Special K with a "splash" of milk is 166 calories. What's that equivalent to? Erm, Corn Flakes - which are - wait for it - 167 calories for a 45g bowl. 1 calorie more!

And its not just Corn Flakes that are the same as Special K. Rice Crispies - 171 calories. Crunch Nut 176. Quakers Porridge Oats - 166.  What's going on?

So if I avoid cereals, what else should I have?  Surely not Bacon and Eggs.

How about two delicious poached eggs -  just 148 calories - are rammed with protein. Want some bacon - one slice will set you back just 76 calories. Or a Banana - just 95 calories.

Or maybe just a packet of crisps. Walkers Quavers come in at just 87 calories!

I will concede that there a plenty of breakfasts with more calories than Special K. A Full English cooked breakfast springs to mind.  But, beware before thinking that Special K is the best way to lose those holiday pounds.



Source: http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/calories/calorie_counter/breakfast_cereal.htm

5 comments:

  1. So true, i'm glad someone wrote about this, oats or anything natural is good for breakfast, basically anything not man made.

    ReplyDelete

Hi. I'm really happy for you to post your comments. Please be kind.